About Enduring Earth
Enduring Earth is a collaboration of The Nature Conservancy, The Pew Charitable Trusts, World Wildlife Fund and ZOMALAB, the family office of Ben and Lucy Ana Walton. We are committed to using Project Finance for Permanence to accelerate conservation and community development around the world. Enduring Earth operates under the fiscal sponsorship of Windward Fund.
What is a PFP?
PFPs are a tool to enable governments and local communities, in partnership with funders and NGOs, to secure long-term management and financing for networks of conservation areas in the form of a deal with a single closing agreement. While every deal looks different, all PFPs share a set of common attributes:
- A private sector project finance approach: Structured as a deal with a single closing agreement that brings together all of the plans, funding and commitments needed to achieve agreed-upon conservation and community development goals
- Large-scale impact: Broad networks of conservation areas and multiple communities
- Rigorous plans: Detailed and thorough conservation and community development plans
- Community engagement: Robust engagement and buy-in for and from Indigenous Peoples and local communities, and benefits linked to their own development and conservation goals
- High levels of accountability: Independent governance of funds with disbursement conditions to ensure commitments are met
- Leveraged funding: Private philanthropic and public funds catalyze significant investments from national governments and support the transition to full and sustained funding from local sources over time
How We Work with Communities
Community leadership, engagement, benefit and buy-in are integral to the PFP model. Enduring Earth is committed to upholding and respecting the rights of Indigenous Peoples and local communities and following the highest international standards of engagement.
For detailed information about our Community Partnership Principles and Approaches, click below to learn more.
Our Core Values
We are transparent and honest in our work with each other and our partners.
We steward resources wisely and focus on results that provide benefits to nature and communities.
Only through collaboration can we achieve our ambitious goals.
We are respectful of each nation’s priorities, and social, cultural, and spiritual values.
Working together, we have what it takes to create a better and more prosperous future for people and the planet. The time to act is now.
Managing Director, Enduring Earth
We appreciate the pro bono contributions of McKinsey & Company, which provides analytics and other PFP-specific technical support.
Image credit: Gustavo Frazao / WWF